Tony Schwartz


I'm a New Yorker living in China, so when I first came across Tony Schwartz, it gave me a nice warm feeling all over my body. His recordings may or may not have the same effect on you, but I highly recommend you listen. Tony Schwartz is an audio-documentarian, and he recorded a bunch of albums documenting New York City streetlife in the forties, fifties, sixties, and seventies.

According to his homepage , 'For many years he has been a Visiting Electronic professor at Harvard University's School of Public Health, teaching physicians how to use media to deal with public health problems. He is also teaching at New York University and Columbia and Emerson colleges. Because Schwartz is unable to travel distances, he delivers all out of town talks by 2-way telephone. Schwartz is a frequent lecturer at universities and conferences, and has given presentations on six of the seven continents (not Antarctica). He holds honorary doctorates from John Jay, Emerson and Stonehill Colleges.' I have no idea what a two-way telephone is, and it's totally bizarre that a self-proclaimed 'media expert' would use such a term.

His audio stuff is posted on various websites, but I found the best collection at basichip.com. The stupid Chinese internet is retarded today, and I can't find the exact link, but I'll post it later (I just found the link). For now, just go to basichip and find his New York taxi recordings (funny) and Moondog, the street musician recordings (groovy). If you like this kind of audio-documentary recordings, or if you're an audio-documentarian yourself, please slip some MP3 links into the comments. The following aren't Tony Scwartz recordings, but I found some interesting old Coney Island recordings from the fifties, and I posted them HERE and HERE.

No comments: